“Hand-picked Reads for Every Traveler” is the way Amazon pitches its new e-book discovery tool. Their book editors have selected 80 of the world’s most famous novels, memoirs, or travel books in an attempt to give readers a sense of “being there.”
Simply put, it’s like travel but it’s not.
Some of the titles that can take you places include:
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (North America)
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (South America)
- The Constant Gardener by John le Carré (Africa)
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Europe)
- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Asia)
- The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (Australia and Beyond)
Whether or not you plan on travelling this summer, this list might prove to be a far less expensive way to travel with your mind’s eye.